‘Tis the season for festivities and cheer, but before you deck the halls and hang the stockings, don’t forget about your trusted sewer crawler. Just like any team member, your crawler deserves a little extra care to ensure it remains a reliable part of your workflow. In this Holiday Edition Annual Cleaning Guide, we’ll walk you through the steps to keep your equipment in top-notch condition, ready to tackle the challenges of the upcoming year.
Recognising the Value of Your Crawler
Your sewer crawler is more than just a piece of equipment; it’s a valuable team member.
Pre-Holiday Maintenance Routine
Before you embark on your well-deserved holiday break, invest a few minutes in these essential maintenance tasks:
1. Disassembly and Cleaning: Disassemble the crawler into its components and give them a thorough scrub with toothbrushes and soapy water. A little cleaning now prevents a lot of problems later.
2. Lubrication: Apply a fresh coat of lubricant after cleaning off the old one. This simple step keeps your crawler running smoothly.
3. Spacer and Screw Maintenance: Use cotton swabs to clean spacers and screw holes, ensuring no sand or silt is present. A bit of lubricant in screw holes helps push out any moisture.
4. Storage: Keep all components organised in a secure toolbox. A little organisation goes a long way in maintaining your equipment.
5. Cable and Reel Care: Clean the cable with soapy water, ensuring it’s rewound without any tangles. Wipe down the reel’s drip tray and clean its window for clear visibility.
6. Truck Maintenance: Sweep the truck floor, wipe down every surface, and clean the windows for a fresh and polished look.
Semi-Annual Leak Test
To ensure the integrity of your crawler, perform a semi-annual leak test:
1. Submersion: Submerge the crawler in a pool of soapy water to detect any leaks that might have developed over time.
2. Component Cleaning: Clean and sanitise each component after the leak test. This step ensures your crawler is not only leak-free but also hygienic.
Additional Holiday Touches
In the holiday spirit, go the extra mile for your equipment:
1. Washdown Your Truck: Show your truck some love by washing it. Not only does this protect its exterior, but it also enhances its appearance.
2. Toolbox and Computer Care: Clean out toolbox drawers and dust inside the computer. A fresh start for the new year!
By investing, just a little time each day and some extra effort before the holiday break, you’ll unwrap a reliable and efficient sewer crawler come the New Year. Happy holidays and smooth inspections to you and your valuable team member!
Want to start your own weekly preventative maintenance program in the new year? Download our FREE Crawler Maintenance Logbook. This logbook is suitable for all brands of sewer crawler and makes it easy to document damage and enforce accountability for cleaning and maintenance. Download yours today.